Google Webmaster Tools
by John Vincent
Posted on May 12, 2018
This is part of a series of discussions regarding Deploying to a Digital Ocean Droplet.
For more details, please see Deploy TaskMuncher
TaskMuncher Google Webmaster Tools
Please note this is a choice. I chose to use
www. as this is mostly what people expect to see. Personally I would prefer to use
but that be confusing to some people.
I configured Nginx to redirect
taskmuncher.com to www.taskmuncher.com
Add a Site
- Add a Property
- Website, www.taskmuncher.com
Repeat steps below also for
- Add a Property
- Website, taskmuncher.com
Verify your ownership of the domain.
There are many different options.
- Gear wheel icon (top right)
- Verification details
- Verify using a different method
HTML file upload
Select HTML file upload
Tool has 4 steps
- Download the verification file
- Upload file to
- Confirm successful upload
- Copy meta tag to site's home page
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="<your own tag>" />
- Verify by viewing the page source
Domain Name provider (optional)
- Domain Name provider
- Google Domains
- Add the TXT record below to the DNS configuration for `taskmuncher.com.
To do this with Google Domains, add the following record
Name: @ Type: TXT TTL: 1h Data: google-site-verification=oHiXOxS0RUkZcO3NPSNr0MmQfDYL4GNAfSOD4mBqQVo
Repeat the verification steps so that have verified properties for
From Search Console
- Select: https://www.taskmuncher.com
- Site Settings (gear icon)
- Preferred domain: display URLs as www.taskmuncher.com
- Crawl (left menu)
- Add/Test Sitemap
- select: www.taskmuncher.com
- Add/test sitemap
- press Submit
User-agent: * Sitemap: https://www.taskmuncher.com/sitemap.xml
Select your website.
robots.txt is not listed, will need to convince Google to look for it.
- provide path of
Ask Google to look again.
Google will find